Senior Business Development Manager (Labor & Employment and Government Contracts)- Hybrid Washington DC
Job ID: 16878
The Senior Business Development Manager works with and supports the firm’s Labor & Employment and Government Contracts practice groups. The Senior Manager, with the support of a BD Manager and/or Coordinator, drives business development, branding, and marketing initiatives. The Senior Manager will serve as a strategic business advisor to the practice group leadership teams as well as the attorneys in those practices. The Senior Manager will report to a Senior Business Development Director.
• Partners with department, practice, and working group leaders to develop and execute annual business development plans, including expanding and diversifying existing client relationships, attracting new clients, identifying areas for cross-selling, and collaborating with attorneys in other practice groups to drive business growth and market visibility.
• Proactively engages with Labor & Employment and Government Contracts group leadership and practice attorneys to understand the group’s skill sets and substantive experience, as well as the legal and business needs of clients, referral sources and prospective clients, so as to marshal offerings in a client-generating, revenue-increasing and brand enhancing manner.
• Through group and market-centric “fluency,” contributes high-level business development advice and guidance that demonstrates a thorough understanding of the group’s experience, business, client base, market forces, and competitive landscape in particular sectors.
• Brings new ideas and proven approaches to the table to support client retention and expansion and brand elevation.
• Develops formal and informal pitch materials and proposal responses that reflect a clear understanding of the opportunity and a focus on positioning the relevant experience, knowledge and firm offerings.
• Collaborates with practice leadership, as well as marketing and recruiting leadership, to develop messaging, materials and successful strategies to advance and capitalize on lateral recruiting efforts.
• Supports the integration of lateral partners and senior counsel with an emphasis on facilitating strategic business opportunities.
• Develops compelling marketing collateral, website descriptions, experience lists, and other client facing materials; ensures materials are up to date by managing group knowledge management efforts.
• Analyzes client and market intelligence to inform business development and branding initiatives and to capitalize on opportunities.
• Supports client service teams as assigned.
• Supports firm-wide knowledge management efforts for assigned groups, including with regard to the firm’s CRM and experience management programs.
• Identifies and pursues opportunities, in collaboration with the firm’s communications team, as appropriate, to increase brand awareness and profile for the practices, including sponsored events, in-house training presentations, professional speaking opportunities, firm alerts, media opportunities, and published articles.
• Plans and orchestrates client development events with group attorneys.
• Plans and drives written thought leadership efforts with group attorneys, including with regard to blogs, alerts and published articles.
• Oversees the timely preparation of strategic and compelling submissions to Chambers, Law360 and other target ranking publications and recognition opportunities.
• In collaboration with Labor & Employment and Government Contracts leadership, develops and manages the practice groups’ business development budgets.
• Guides, mentors and trains BD professionals to create a BD function that maximizes available resources to pursue revenue opportunities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrated proactive business development experience growing revenue, including expanding existing client relationships, developing new clients.
• Strong business and marketing acumen, including the ability to leverage business intelligence and financial data to identify business opportunities and support go-to-market strategies.
• Proven experience driving results-oriented practice group brand enhancing initiatives.
• Highly motivated, persuasive, priority-driven, and collaborative.
• Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and perform well under pressure.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, with internal and external audiences.
• Excellent writing and presentation skills.
• Experience with knowledge management systems, including CRM and experience management.
• Experience leading teams and building and managing comprehensive BD support functions.
The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree. A JD, MBA or other related advanced degree may substitute for required experience.
The position requires a minimum of seven (7) years of increasingly responsible, directly related experience.
Experience motivating and leading others to drive results is required.
Previous business development and marketing experience in a professional services firm is strongly preferred.
Must have in house Legal Marketing/BD experience
Must be able to be in Washington, DC office 3 days a week