Public Relations and Communications Manager Philadelphia
Job ID: 16164
Our client, a long established national law firm, seeks a goal oriented, positive and energetic self-starter to manage and increase the public brand and profile of the firm and its attorneys, both regionally and nationally, via media and public relations, marketing and promotion. This candidate will work with attorneys, practice groups and departments to identify writing and speaking opportunities for attorneys and prepare pitch materials, as necessary; promote the Firm’s and its attorneys’ achievements, experience and capabilities by pitching articles, alerts, interviews and speaking engagements; assist with drafting and editing articles, alerts, social media posts and other website content; post content to website; pursue ultimate submission of articles/alerts and subsequent publication, as well as acceptance by organizations of speaking engagement pitches; negotiate and coordinate publication agreements; work with reporters to ensure that attorneys will be contacted as sources; review media, track placements and maintain a clips file; manage crisis communications issues; seek out and respond to requests from legal trades for articles on various subjects; cultivate relationships with journalists in business, legal press and trade publications that align with the Firm’s practice areas; field and vet media inquiries; conduct research and prepare lawyers for press interviews; and ensure consistent communication and messaging to internal and external audiences.
What sets the firm apart from its competitors is its “small firm” feel and “large firm” legal practice. The long-standing tradition and commitment to pro bono work and public service, paired with its talented attorneys and staff, sophisticated work and a high level of customer service have contributed to its reputation for superior quality legal work within a uniquely positive and friendly working environment. This is a wonderful opportunity for a talented Public Relations and Communications Manager who takes pride in and ownership of a job well done.
• Provide Firm-wide public relations and communications support to Firm’s offices.
• Develop relationships with media contacts in each of the cities in which the firm has offices. Handle day-to-day press relations, external communications and crisis communications.
• Work with attorneys to promote practice area skills and capabilities. Write media pitches and press releases; assist others in the Marketing Department with maintaining the Firm’s social media presence, including assisting with drafting social media, blog and website content (website bios, news items and event listings); and post content to the website and social media platforms.
• Develop story ideas and articles; pitch to attorneys and to the press and other outlets.
• Track industry publications and recommend public relations opportunities to attorneys.
• Work with others in the Marketing Department to manage the firms website and social media and to maintain the relevancy, accuracy and appearance of the website and social media.
• Monitor the internet to ensure the integrity and consistency of the firm name, its attorneys, its brand and reputation.
• Leverage the Firm’s use of social media.
• Create and present media/public relations, social media and LinkedIn training seminars for attorneys.
• Attend practice group meetings as a public relations advisor to look for opportunities to promote the Firm, practice groups and attorneys.
• Manage the dissemination process of alerts, articles and other publications.
• Collect competitive intelligence research and cultivate relationships with journalists in business, legal press and trade publications in our geographies. Use knowledge to prepare lawyers for press interviews, pitches and marketing opportunities.
• Provide assistance to others in the Marketing Department with rankings, surveys, award submissions and pitches.
• Assist with managing Marketing interns and selection process.
• Fulfill other duties and projects as required by the CMO.
• Bachelor’s degree preferably in Marketing, English, Journalism or Communications.
• 3-5 years of media relations experience in a professional services firm, preferably a law firm.
• Experience writing and preparing marketing communications materials.
• Impeccable research, writing, editing and proofreading skills.
• Excellent project and time management skills with the ability to prioritize and multitask under pressure in order to meet tight deadlines and deliver an excellent work product.
• Must demonstrate responsiveness to media and internal constituencies. Must have highly professional demeanor, ability to interact successfully with lawyers and staff at all levels. Must have discretion and diplomacy and the ability to use professional judgment to deal with sensitive, confidential matters. Must be self-motivated and deadline oriented.
• Demonstrated ability to synthesize and communicate complex subjects clearly and concisely both orally and in writing with reporters, attorneys, marketing professionals and vendors.
• Ability to develop and cultivate relationships with media in all Firm-wide geographic areas and the ability to identify and generate media coverage opportunities.
• Strong public speaking and presentation skills.
• Ability to work off-hours and travel occasionally, in a COVID-19 safe manner.
• Online media directory services experience required.
• Experience with commonly used social media platforms, including LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook, required.
• Full knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and Adobe Acrobat are required.
• PR software (e.g. PRNewswire, Factiva, Vocus; JD Supra and Mondaq) experience is a plus.
• Design, contact database software and research capabilities (e.g., Publisher, Photoshop, Vuture, InterAction and AtVantage) are a plus.
• Must be open to learning business development skills and possess a willingness and interest in performing the responsibilities associated with business development in a law firm.