Project Management Office (PMO) & Demand Officer Washington DC
Job ID: 16874
The PMO & Demand Manager is responsible for leading the IT Project Management Office (PMO), overseeing a team of professionals who drive project execution and establish delivery standards, processes, tools, and reporting for the IT organization. The IT PMO upholds and influences gold-standard project execution by instituting discipline around intake & demand management, resource and capacity management, project and program management, and management reporting. The PMO & Demand Manager helps the team achieve these objectives by establishing working rapport and strong partnerships with stakeholders of all levels, both within IT as well as cross-functionally in practice and support areas of the Firm. The position requires an experienced program management professional with the right mix of relevant experience and skills, an ability to flex between the strategic and the tactical, outstanding verbal and written communication skills, and a high level of energy and flexibility to get things done and thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented project / product development environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Owns the global IT project portfolio and leads the ongoing portfolio management discipline for the IT organization.
• Develops and implements the IT delivery framework, along with associated processes, tools, and methodologies to drive standard, quality project delivery.
• Establishes policies, standards, and processes for the IT PMO in partnership with the Director of Solution Delivery and IT functional leadership.
• Manages the PMO’s performance and ensure that it is meeting its targets and KPIs.
• Partners with IT and Firm leadership to facilitate annual / ad-hoc demand management for identifying, evaluating, and prioritizing technology needs.
• Works closely with IT and Firm leadership to translate strategic technology roadmaps into actionable delivery programs and projects.
• Drives continuous improvements and enforces consistency in project delivery processes across the broader IT organization.
• Forecasts and actively manages IT resource capacity for portfolio reporting and decisions.
• Presents accurate, transparent representations of project portfolio progress, health, risks, and ongoing challenges.
• Publishes monthly and annual portfolio reporting to IT and cross-functional leadership to enable data-driven decisions.
• Upholds IT Governance and works with IT leadership to streamline project escalation and decision paths.
• Implements and continuously refines PMO and demand management tools needed to support project planning, execution, progress reporting, and issues tracking.
• Oversees, coaches both PMO and broader IT delivery staff on project / program management best practices.
• Defines the competencies, skill levels, and talents for the PMO and demand management disciplines.
• College degree is strongly preferred, ideally in Computer Science, Information Systems, Finance, Business Administration, or a related discipline. Master’s degree is preferred.
• Professional certification(s) are preferred.
• 7+ years of relevant experience, ideally in a large law firm setting, a comparable professional services organization, or a legal information services provider.
• Demonstrated experience architecting an IT delivery framework for the execution of projects.
• Demonstrated experience with various project and program management disciplines, methodologies, and processes.
• Demonstrated experience managing complex technology projects and programs with multiple cross-functional stakeholders.
• Demonstrated experience with the functioning of a program management office and governance frameworks.
• Demonstrated experience leading technical and non-technical teams, both directly and indirectly.
• Experience with leading PMO, PPM, SDLC technologies and solutions (e.g., Smartsheet, JIRA).
• Experience in working with cross functional technical and non-technical teams or projects, and influencing senior level management and key stakeholders.
• Knowledge of and exposure to multiple, diverse technologies, and processing environments.
• Proven ability to conform to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
• Ability to establish rapport and elicit cooperation from personnel across all levels, including executive management, and cross-functional leadership.
• Ability to serve as a change agent, leading and inspiring others to act, especially under circumstances when change is unpopular.
• Strong communications and interpersonal skills required.
• Must be highly motivated, analytical, organized, and efficient.
• Excellent problem solving and debugging skills required.
• Ability to work well as part of a team and lead others.
• Ability to present ideas in business friendly and user-friendly language.
• Keen attention to detail.