Practice Development Manager (Asset Management) Boston MA
Job ID: 15006
The Asset Management Practice Development Manager (“PDM”) will provide significant practice and business development support to the firm’s Asset Management (AM) Practice Group. The PDM will work closely with the AM group’s leadership, attorneys and the Practice Development Director (PDD) in all aspects of management of the practice through the provision of business development, knowledge management, lateral attorney integration, financial analysis and logistical support for our private fund, registered fund, private fund regulatory and derivatives and commodities groups. Responsibilities include designing, organizing, coordinating and implementing initiatives in support of individual partners’ business plans and the broader strategic objectives of the practice group and of the firm as a whole. To successfully execute against these responsibilities, the PDM will act as a liaison to other firm departments and practice group support teams, as well as across geographies, working collaboratively to contribute to the overall success of each practice area. The ideal candidate will have experience in the asset management industry and/or experience working in a midsized or large law firm, particularly on pitches and RFPs. Leadership qualities, a positive, cando attitude, organizational skills, attention to detail and a willingness to pitch in and roll up one’s sleeves to help the practice group achieve its business objectives is critical.
*This role is open to our Boston, Chicago or New York office. Please note that occasional travel, in particular between New York and Boston, will be required as dictated by business needs.
1. Assist practice leaders, practice group attorneys and colleagues in the development, execution and implementation of the practice group’s strategic plan and manage work-streams, specialty areas and initiatives in support of the strategy.
2. Lead practice-driven business development initiatives, including pitches, responses to RFPs, teleconferences, webinars and client presentations.
3. Oversee pitch materials and RFP responses across the asset management practice to ensure consistency of material and data.
4. Monitor and analyze market research and industry trends to support business priorities of practice groups, individual partners, office and firm.
5. Identify external marketing opportunities, including speaking opportunities, sponsorships, conferences and writing opportunities working in conjunction with the PR, Communications and Events teams.
6. Oversee the development of practice group marketing collateral material (e.g., brochures, bios, website descriptions, practice overviews and experience lists).
7. Strategize approach for and oversee the preparation of various legal ranking submissions.
8. Draft lateral partner sponsor memoranda. Drive onboarding and integration of lateral attorneys into practice group.
9. Review practice group financial reporting and other metrics and develop analysis of key trends for practice leadership and management of practice group budgets.
10. Expand, enrich, oversee and maintain internal practice group resources, including intranet site (“the InfoNet”), experience and other various firm databases.
11. Update practice group members on developments related to practice initiatives. Facilitate sharing of developments and information with appropriate commercial and other teams.
12. Plan and execute practice group and related initiative client events and meetings, working closely with Events team where appropriate.
13. Manage Practice Development Specialists and Assistants through coaching, mentoring and delegation of practice group projects and routine tasks.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
• Ability to establish credibility with Ropes & Gray partners, to bring to bear the right mix of confidence, tact and persistence in working with the firm’s lawyers around the world.
• Excellent project management and organizational skills and proven attention to detail.
• Excellent oral communication skills.
• Excellent legal and business writing skills.
• Willingness to roll up sleeves and get things done.
• Ability to identify and solve problems, work independently and take initiative.
• Ability to compile, review, and determine logical conclusions or recommendations based on data and information that is varied in content and format.
• Excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively with people at all levels. Positive, cando attitude.
• Ability to work with professional staff in a multioffice environment.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality of the firm’s internal and personnel affairs.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• Experience in asset management or in a midsized to large law firm preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree. JD or MBA preferred but not required.
• At least eight years of applicable experience working in a midsized to large law firm or corporate environment in a similar field and/or as a practicing attorney.
• Candidate must have proven problemsolving abilities, be able to work on multiple projects simultaneously, and take responsibility for designing and implementing goals.
• Prior people management experience, including coaching, mentoring and strong delegation skills.
If interested in this position, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org