Billing Manager New York NY
Job ID: 17150
The Billing Manager is responsible for all billing related activities for the New York office by performing essential duties personally or through delegation/supervision of subordinates. The Billing Manager develops and implements the billing procedures for the New York office ensuring compliance with client billing guidelines. This role directs the New York Billing team, focusing on training and development, while frequently assessing workload to ensure all billing invoices are submitted in a timely manner. The Billing Manager maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and firm matters. We offer a hybrid work model, allowing the flexibility to work both on-site and remotely on a regular basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to, the following. Other duties may be requested and/or assigned. Essential functions are primary job duties that an individual must be able to perform successfully with or without a reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Manage and oversee all New York Billing functions and organization assuring work is completed accurately and effectively within defined deadlines.
• Implement current billing processes and procedures, as well as, suggest and facilitate new processes and procedures, as needed, to increase efficiency and quality of services. Provide training for current and/or newly implemented software systems and/or policies. Manage the New York office billing staff. This includes performance reviews, hiring new personnel, training, etc.
• Partner with other Billing Managers in rate research and implementation, including the financial system and the clients’ e-billing vendor systems, to ensure consistency and accuracy. Must have strong knowledge of rate setup and a strong understanding of the impact of rate hierarchy.
• Oversee and manage the billing process for the New York office including pre-bills, invoices, alternative fee arrangements, credit programs and specific cash applications.
• Work with the conflicts team, pricing team and the other Billing Managers to manage the new client set up process and developing processes and procedures to ensure the necessary information in engagement letters and outside counsel guidelines flow through to the time entry and billing modules.
• Collaborate with e-Billing, Collections and Pricing teams to ensure timely attention of all issues that impact the flow of billing processes from matter set up to payment of invoices.
• Develop, mentor and coach billing team and lead the team as a role model to champion firm initiatives.
• Complete special projects on an ad hoc basis.
Master financial systems (general ledger, time entry, billing/accounting/reporting software) to:
• Continuously review and assess current policies and procedures to identify opportunities to improve effectiveness, efficiencies, customer service, reporting and analytics, staff performance, etc.
• Respond to client, attorney and professional staff inquiries in a timely manner.
• Investigate and resolve problems, questions, and issues from all personnel as they relate to billing and accounting procedures;
• Ensure a high level of customer service when working directly with attorneys and external clients.
• Lead billing personnel with respect to rollouts of system additions, changes and enhancements, requiring interactive exchange with the firm-wide financial systems management team.
• Improve accuracy and integrity of entries posted to billing system.
• Analyze and explain variances in monthly billing activity and budgets.
• Provide projections on monthly billing activity down to the partner/client level.
• Advise attorneys with respect to reduction of WIP and On Account balances.
• Collaborate with departments outside the financial operations departments, such as Marketing and Business Development, Practice Management, Pricing and Legal Project Management, to develop interdepartmental processes for the integration of RFPs and engagement letters.
• Liaise with vendors to implement automated on-line billing or invoicing systems.
• Resolve problems arising with respect to improperly allocated cash.
• Provide direction with finance system upgrades; ensure proper testing and implementation of system integrations that effect the billing team.
• Directly supervises and manages employees and is responsible for their overall direction, coordination, and evaluation. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Firm’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems; and making recommendations for hiring, promotion, compensation, and termination.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting or Finance is required and ten or more years of progressive billing experience, preferably in a large legal or professional services firm, and five or more years of supervisory experience is required. Advanced degree or certificate in project management is preferred. Experience with Elite and or Aderant time and billing software, and e-Billing Hub, or similar industry standard is required.
• Experience with Microsoft Office with advanced proficiency with MS Excel spreadsheets, including features such as pivot tables, charts and graphs and formulas; must be proficient with MS Word and PowerPoint software.
• Ability to assess current processes and identify, implement and manage process improvements recommendations.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills in order to interact and communicate with subordinates, provide instruction/direction/training, determine work priorities and coordinate the activities of a work team.
• Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy, efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff, and outside contacts acting as their liaison to the Finance department and their trusted advisor on all billing procedures.
• Possess a strong customer service mentality for both internal and external clients.
• Analytical skills requiring an aptitude for detail, precision, and logic with comprehensive knowledge of billing and accounting principles and practices in order to perform complex mathematical calculations and apply mathematical concepts when computing, reconciling balances, verifying numerical data, preparing various billing reports, providing back-up assistance and support in performing all aspects of accounting operations, and participating in preparation of the budget.
• Exhibit high degree of initiative in exercising independent judgment and making decisions in order to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment in addition to possessing a strong desire and capability to share your knowledge and experience with your team aiding in their professional growth.
• Ability to work overtime as needed in order to meet deadlines.
• Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute files, written documentation, or office supplies weighing up to 10 pounds.
• Required to work towards deadlines; must be able to work more than 35 hours per week.