Enterprise Messaging Portfolio Manager Washington DC
Job ID: 17051
*Must have management experience
The Enterprise Messaging Portfolio Manager is responsible for overseeing a team of professionals who architect, design, build, maintain, and support all aspects of the Firm’s enterprise messaging solutions worldwide, with focus on email and messaging, as well as archival and retention. The Firm’s users expect technology solutions to be reliable, easy to use, secure, and efficient. Since some of these requirements can often conflict with one another, it is the responsibility of the Enterprise Messaging Portfolio Manager to evaluate each of these factors and strike the necessary balance to deliver solutions that delivers an optimal experience for the end user, without making compromises that add unacceptable risks to the Firm. To accomplish this objective, the Enterprise Messaging Portfolio Manager develops a roadmap in close partnership with IT and cross-functional stakeholders, and continually adapts it to accommodate the changing needs of the Firm. The role requires an individual with the skills to think both strategically for the long term and tactically to handle the daily operational needs of the Firm, while fostering a high-performing team culture. The Enterprise Messaging Portfolio Manager assesses relative priorities of projects, deploys (and possibly diverts) the appropriate resources as needed, and apprises the leadership team of any risks that may result from a delay in executing projects and other operational activities to uphold gold-standard service.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Leads the end-to-end management of the Firm’s enterprise messaging portfolio, inclusive of strategic planning through to operational support and maintenance.
• Delivers enterprise messaging solutions to lawyers and staff to maintain alignment with Firm requirements and objectives for internal / external global communications (e.g., email services across all platforms, archival & retention solutions).
• Oversees the application and configuration of Firm policies and requirements for Enterprise Messaging, actively partnering with cross-functional leadership as appropriate.
• Oversees ongoing maintenance of the enterprise messaging technology footprint, a combination of on premises and hosted services / solutions.
• Ensures that messaging systems are properly configured, highly available, scalable, and secure.
• Actively partners with cyber and compliance leadership to ensure that the messaging systems are compliant with all relevant regulations and standards.
• Actively partners with the Enterprise Applications portfolio team to inform requirements for broader enterprise communications and collaboration (e.g., Chat, Conferencing, Document sharing).
• Proactively consults with cross-functional stakeholders to translate Firm needs into solution roadmaps which are socialized and aligned to broader IT and Firm strategic priorities.
• Manages enterprise messaging operations and escalation support to function smoothly and economically with primary emphasis on business effectiveness, availability, stability, and reliability (combination of internal IT staff and 3rd party service providers).
• Manages the response for messaging related issues or outages.
• Oversees and develops a team of messaging engineers, facilitating an environment of teamwork with technology personnel, vendors, and integrators.
• Oversees the development and maintenance of documentation for the messaging systems, including system architecture, design, and configuration.
• Leads continuous process development and improvement of enterprise messaging solutions, with focus on actively measuring and improving the user experience.
• Develops and executes delivery plans in close coordination with technical and non-technical stakeholders to achieve desired timelines as systems and programs are selected, purchased, installed, and/or further developed.
• Recommends and implements best practices, processes, and procedures related to all aspects of enterprise messaging.
• Stays current on trends and issues in the broader marketplace, including current and emerging technologies.
• Proactively applies quality management, change control, risk mitigation, and customer satisfaction control procedures.
• Assists with the design, testing, and implementation of disaster recovery and business continuity plans, procedures, audits, and enhancements.
• Promotes and provides unparalleled customer service to our lawyers, staff and clients.
• Communicates complex system information and ideas effectively and efficiently technical and non technical stakeholders.
• Anticipates needs and provide cost-effective application solutions Firm-wide.
• Maintains the ongoing enterprise messaging budget required for achieving established strategic objectives.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• College degree is preferred, ideally in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related technical discipline. Master’s degree is preferred.
• Appropriate technical certification(s) are preferred (e.g., Microsoft cloud related certifications).
• 7+ years of relevant experience, ideally in a large Law Firm setting, a comparable professional services organization, or a legal information services provider.
• Demonstrated experience in the lifecycle management of global, multi-tenant enterprise messaging systems, preferably with strong expertise in the hosted services (e.g., Exchange Online).
• Demonstrated experience in the design and architecture of enterprise messaging systems and services, inclusive of archival and document retention capabilities.
• Demonstrated experience with messaging protocols (e.g., SMPTP, POP3, IMAP, MAPI).
• Demonstrated experience in information systems management, including planning, budgeting, and implementing system integration projects.
• Demonstrated experience in developing and motivating technical professionals.
• Demonstrated experience improving the user experience, preferably in a Law / professional services Firm.
• Experience with cloud ecosystems incorporating, applications and solutions across platforms and devices (e.g., Microsoft 365).
• Experience in deploying solutions to a community of non-technical office workers and professionals.
• Strong understanding of messaging security and compliance requirements.
• Demonstrated ability to serve as a change agent, leading and inspiring others to act, especially under circumstances when change is unpopular.
• Ability to establish rapport and elicit cooperation from personnel across all levels, including executive management, and cross-functional leadership
• Ability to develop and motivate technology teams, inclusive of staff, and 3rd party vendors/consultants.
• Skilled in communications to all levels in the organization in writing, speaking, and presentation skills for work with the Firm leadership, the user community, and clients.
• Excellent problem solving and debugging skills required.
• Ability to manage complex information systems and technical personnel.
• Must be able to reliably deal with multiple competing priorities and remain calm under pressure.
• Ability to fulfill on-call duties for IT emergencies outside of Firm business hours.
• As with all positions, it will be required to perform other duties as deemed necessary and assigned by the Director of Application Solutions and/or Firm Management