Senior IT Security Engineer – Perimeter Defense Washington DC
Job ID: 16967
Summary: The Senior IT Security Engineer is part of a team of engineers who architect, design, build, maintain, and support the Firm’s portfolio of security technologies and solutions, inclusive of Perimeter Defense, Monitoring & Logging, and Identity, Access, and Authorization Management. This role leads the lifecycle management of the Perimeter Defense portfolio, with focus on VPN / Firewall and networking security solutions. The senior engineer manages the necessary balance of delivering solutions that provide an optimal experience for our lawyers, staff, practice groups, and clients, without making concessions that add unacceptable risks to the Firm. To accomplish this objective, the Senior IT Security Engineer partners closely with the Infrastructure Networking team, along with Information Security, Compliance, IT functional leadership, and other cross-functional stakeholders to continuously adapt solutions to meet the evolving needs of the Firm. The role requires an individual with the skills to think both strategically and tactically to handle the operational needs of the Firm, all with the objective of delivering gold-standard services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Owns the lifecycle management of the Firm’s Perimeter Defense solutions portfolio to protect the Firm’s technology estate, including but not limited to VPN / Firewall and networking security.
• Partners closely with the Firm’s Cyber organization and other IT Security Solutions engineers to establish common standards and objectives for the Firm’s security solutions, supports broader IT Security functional objectives as needed.
• Leads maintenance for ongoing patches, updates, fixes.
• Continuously adapts and fine-tunes architecture, configuration standards, and protocols in partnership with Infrastructure and Cyber organizations.
• Partners closely with Information Security, Compliance, and IT leadership to architect solutions that uphold the Firm’s policies, standards, and requirements, preserving the balance between security and quality end-user experience.
• Works closely with IT technical teams to evaluate, apply, and uphold security standards for Firm information, computer, network, and processing systems.
• Intakes and prioritizes the response and remediation of Information Security Incidents and Requests, and measures performance.
• Leads continuous process development, improvement, and automation of Perimeter Defense related solutions and support activities.
Participates in the design and implementation of recommended information security controls associated with new project application/system deployments.
• Contributes to the design and supports the execution of vulnerability assessments, penetration tests, and security audits.
• Collaborates well with cross-functional stakeholders and other third-party providers.
• Recommends policies, standards, procedures, and training programs for lawyers and staff to make effective use of technology.
• Delivers technology solutions for the Firm’s security related projects.
• Stays current on trends and issues in the security industry, including current and emerging technologies.
• Stays current on applicable compliance and regulatory requirements for information security controls. • Assists with the design and implementation of disaster recovery and business continuity plans, procedures, audits, and enhancements
• College degree is strongly preferred, ideally in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related technical discipline. Master’s degree is preferred.
• Appropriate technical certification(s) are preferred.
• 5+ years of relevant experience, ideally in a large Law Firm setting, a comparable professional services organization, or a legal information services provider.
• Demonstrated experience working with, and preferably owning, perimeter defense, VPN / Firewall, and Network Infrastructure solutions.
• Demonstrated experience managing the system lifecycle for security solutions, inclusive of ongoing support for security patches, updates, and fixes.
• Demonstrated experience in network switching and routing, firewall and intrusion detection and prevention systems, network and web-related protocols (e.g., TCP/IP, UDP, IPSEC, HTTP, HTTPS, routing protocols).
• Experience with network and system security administration, including operating system security configuration and account management best practices.
• Experience with of SIEM, MDR, E/XDR tools, Windows desktop and server security tools and topics, Azure security, Windows Event logging, syslog, and related telematics topics.
• Experience with vulnerability assessments / techniques, and penetration tools for systems security.
• Experience with encryption & digital certificates, log management, Syslog analysis, and TCP/IP analysis.
• Proven experience working in a fast paced environment.
• Demonstrated ability to serve as a change agent, leading and inspiring others to act, especially under circumstances when change is unpopular.
• Ability to establish rapport and elicit cooperation from personnel across all levels, including executive management, and cross-functional leadership.
• Ability to develop and motivate technology teams, inclusive of staff, and 3rd party vendors/consultants.
• Skilled in communications to all levels in the organization in writing, speaking, and presentation skills for work with the Firm leadership, the user community, and clients.
• Excellent problem solving and debugging skills required.
• Ability to manage complex information systems and technical personnel .
• Must be able to reliably deal with multiple competing priorities and remain calm under pressure.
• Ability to fulfill on-call duties for IT emergencies outside of Firm business hours.