Firm Events Manager Washington DC
Job ID: 16247
The Firm Events Manager provides support and oversight to Firm meetings, conferences, and special events. This DC-based position will work across geographies to select venues, manage contract negotiations, visit venues or collaborate with local Client Services staff (when possible), oversee menu selection and plan event logistics to ensure adherence to established budgets. In addition, this position will provide exceptional service to lawyers, clients, staff, and visitors hosting events at Firm conference centers. This includes all aspects of conference room scheduling using the Event Management Software System (EMS), including reservations, confirmations, meeting set up, coordination of catering services, audio visual needs, and regularly monitoring conference room availability
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Spearhead in-person, virtual, and hybrid events for the Firm. Manage the progress of each event, from the planning and development stages through execution.
• Plan and develop event logistical timelines, banquet event orders, and task assignments to ensure timely and accurate execution of services for onsite/offsite events. This includes but is not limited to venue sourcing, contracts, audio visual, room configuration, catering, invitations, décor, supplies, security, rentals, and storage.
• Create event proposals based on approved budgets. Reconcile invoices, expenses, and submit for timely payment.
• Assist in the hiring, development, scheduling, and performance evaluations of the Client Services Coordinator. Ensure the Coordinator is properly trained and have the necessary resources to effectively and consistently carry out their respective job functions.
• Maintain the highest level of professionalism when interacting with lawyers, clients, staff, and visitors who require conference and event support services.
• Arrange the production of event materials, such as name badges, signage, giveaways, and registration materials.
• Ensure the accurate and timely communication to and from lawyers, clients, staff, visitors and the departments involved in providing service for conferences and events.
• Consult with lawyers, staff, and external clients to determine objectives and requirements for events such as meetings, depositions, closings, trainings, and special events.
• Assist lawyers, clients, staff, and visitors with requests for special arrangements or services, including transportation, restaurant, travel, and lodging.
• Ensure that all aspects of conference and event reservations are complete with relevant, accurate information to facilitate successful meetings and adjust as necessary to accommodate current and last minute changes.
• Become accustomed to the capability of each conference room, including seating capacity, AV equipment, etc. to ensure appropriate room reservation for meeting requirements.
• Schedule and reschedule meetings and conference rooms including the coordination of catering, room set up and equipment needs with other departments that provide service to the conference center.
• Meet and greet client meetings/events, meetings hosted by Firm lawyers, and other high profile meetings, when necessary.
• Attend and facilitate Daily and Weekly Conference Review meeting with Catering, Audio Visual and Facilities. Verify equipment and catering needs, follow up on any “questionable” meetings (double booked, incomplete information, inappropriate room assignments, etc.) and confirm VTC connecting locations.
• Participate in daily and weekly meetings related to Client Services. Review administrative concerns and proactively provide timely feedback to management.
• Assist lawyers, staff, and visitors with basic technology and audio-visual equipment such as laptops, telephones, and lighting as necessary for presentations, etc.
• Handle administrative tasks such as scanning, copying, printing, and mailing.
• Provide assistance with conference room set up and breakdown on high volume days.
• Handle last minute and/or mid-meeting needs (e.g., catering, time extensions, supply & equipment requests, visitor office use, requests for additional conference space, etc.).
• Timely and regular attendance.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree (degree in Events Management, Marketing, Business, Communications, or Hospitality preferred) or equivalent experience.
• Minimum of five years of prior event planning experience preferably in a law firm or professional services environment.
• Proficiency in a range of computer software applications, databases, MSWord, MS-Excel, and MS-PowerPoint; familiarity with EMS, Teams, ON24, Zoom, Cvent, and Crowd Compass platforms.
• Ability to manage multiple projects while prioritizing work assignments.
• A self-starter and team player, able to accept direction, yet work independently.
• Ability to effectively interface with all levels of personnel within the organization and with external clients.
• Ability to work well under the pressure of deadlines and managing budgets.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while exhibiting a strong attention to detail and meeting deadlines.
• Position requires some early mornings, evenings, and weekends. May travel to on-site locations to manage all logistical aspects of a meeting.
• Strong customer service focus, event planning experience with an emphasis on organizational skills, taking initiative and strong attention to detail.
• Ability to accomplish requirements of position in a high volume work environment requiring excellent time management and multi-tasking skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an emphasis on exceptional interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to listen to issues affecting the conference center and propose solutions.
• Ability to perform moderate document management with a working knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint; including but not limited to, Word – creating and editing documents; Excel – creating basic spread sheets or editing existing documents; PowerPoint – editing and loading existing document onto laptops for meetings.
• General knowledge of audio-visual systems to allow basic set up for microphones and other technology used to support meetings.
• Ability to learn and utilize EMS scheduling database
• Exhibit a willingness to be flexible, work alternative shifts, and share in overtime as necessary to ensure adequate coverage during weekdays, weekends, holidays for Firm related meetings and events.
• Work collaboratively with peers and Firm wide departments that provide services to the conference center, including Caterers, Office Services, Facilities, Audio Visual, and ITS.
• You must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by your hire date to be eligible for starting in the role. Proof of vaccination will be required. The firm will provide reasonable accommodation(s) based on medical or religious grounds for qualified candidates.