Executive Assistant Washington DC
Job ID: 16888
What You Will Do: This position will sit in our Washington, D.C. office and currently offers a hybrid work opportunity. Under the general direction of assigned attorney(s) or other legal personnel and according to established Firm policies and procedures, is responsible for providing specialized administrative support and secretarial assistance to assigned attorneys/legal personnel pertaining to all aspects of a fast paced, high net worth trusts and estates and related private client matters. Tasks involve a level of document production, administrative functions, and client contact requiring excellent secretarial and technical skills. This position typically supports three or more attorneys or other legal personnel as a primary assignment and also provides back-up secretarial assistance to other attorneys/legal personnel as requested. Maintains professionalism, discretion, and strict confidentiality in all client and Firm matters.
Essential Job Requirements: Include, but may not be limited to, the following. Other duties may be requested and/or assigned. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the position. Essential functions are primary job duties that an individual must be able to perform successfully with or without a reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Generate, prepare, and organize client documents requisite to the trusts and estates practice area, such as wills, codicils, trust agreements, amendments, powers of attorney, etc. Experience with the handling and storing of such original instruments a strong plus.
• Preparing and assemble execution and post-ex documents, and affix appropriate backing.
• Preparing certified excerpts of trust documents and redacting same.
• Create, edit, and compile large, complex, heavily formatted documents as well as prepare routine correspondence, memoranda, and other legal documents from draft or dictated text utilizing MS Word software. Proofread all documents for accuracy and completeness.
• Manage and maintain calendar (utilizing calendar software, if applicable) and assist in meeting deadlines. Schedule in person and virtual appointments and meetings, arrange for conference rooms, and communicate information to all respective parties.
• Answer the telephone and screen and process incoming calls. Record and transmit telephone messages. Set up conference calls.
• Input attorney/legal personnel’s time utilizing the Firm’s time entry software on a daily basis.
• Receive, sort, and distribute incoming mail. File mail in client/case files, as necessary. Process outgoing mail to assure timely delivery, including time urgent filings with appropriate postal receipts.
• Update attorney/legal personnel’s contacts in InterAction, Outlook, or document contact lists.
• Greet clients and visitors in a manner that promotes the professional image and best interests of the Firm. Maintain excellent public relations with clients.
• Open new client matters and request conflict of interest checks. Generate new files and maintain client, chron, and general files assuring that filing is kept current. Prepare files to be closed utilizing proper records storage procedures. Conduct periodic review of inactive files for possible storage of files.
• Maintain up-to-date listing of client/matter names and numbers for each attorney/legal personnel.
• Make travel arrangements, prepare itineraries, and compile documents for travel-related meetings.
• As directed, convert documents into .pdf files or other formats.
• Maintain knowledge of Firm operating procedures, departments, and support areas.
• On a monthly basis, if applicable, prepare expense reports for each attorney/legal personnel. Submit to accounting for processing.
• Prepare and keep current desk instructions with respect to each assigned attorney/legal personnel.
• If applicable, prepare and process client billing utilizing Firm billing software. Review/edit/prepare and proofread prebills and invoices; assure client billing is sent out accurately and timely.
3-5 years of trust and estate experience which includes knowledge in the areas of estate planning, estate administration/probate, and fiduciary litigation.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• High school diploma or equivalent and four or more years progressive legal secretarial experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Strong technical skills and working knowledge of MS Word, Outlook and Excel required. PowerPoint and Visio a plus. Ability to work with complex documents and formatting and produce documents from transcription. Ability to accurately proof documents. Keyboarding skills of 55 wpm preferred.
• Superior organizational skills including record keeping, data collection, and system information. Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish information in report format, written correspondence, e-mail, or verbally.
• Analytical and technical skills requiring an aptitude for detail and accuracy in order to perform essential administrative/clerical functions and utilize Firm software.
• Exhibit high degree of initiative in managing multiple priorities simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment utilizing excellent judgment, administrative abilities, and decision-making skills. Ability to work with frequent interruptions, adapt to changes in workflow, and complete tasks in high pressure situations.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Ability to provide a high level of client service and possess the ability to communicate with clients and colleagues with courtesy and diplomacy, efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information, and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff, and outside contacts.
• Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment. Ability to act independently and make decisions within scope of the position’s responsibilities.
• Proactive with excellent troubleshooting, problem resolution, and follow-through skills in order to oversee and complete assignments/tasks from inception to completion.
• Possess excellent knowledge of reading, writing, grammar, spelling, punctuation, proofreading, and formatting in order to organize and interpret source data, perform administrative functions, prepare relevant documentation, proofread material for grammatical, typographical, and spelling errors, and perform file maintenance.
• Ability to operate standard office equipment, including computer, telephone, laser printer, transcription equipment, photocopier, scanner, facsimile, calculator, etc.
• Ability to perform mathematical calculations and apply mathematical concepts when computing, reconciling balances, verifying numerical data on forms and documents, and preparing expense reports and/or billing.
• Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute files, written documentation, or office supplies weighing up to 10 pounds
• Capable of handling confidential private client information in a professional and trustworthy manner.
• Strong willingness to learn and the ability to interpret and follow instructions quickly and efficiently.