East Coast Regional Diversity Director
Job ID: 15585
The East Coast Regional Diversity Director reports to the Chief Diversity Officer and is responsible for helping to develop and implement programs and policies that promote the Firm’s overall diversity, equity and inclusion goals and the specific goals of the Firm’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee (D&I Committee) and Committee on Retention and Promotion of Women (CRPW). Working with the Chief Diversity Officer and in coordination with the office Chairs of the D&I Committee and CRPW in the region, the East Coast Regional Diversity Director will also interact with firm leadership and with the Firm’s Marketing, Human Resources, Event Planning, Learning & Development and Legal Recruiting departments to accomplish the Firm’s diversity, equity and inclusion goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• With the Chief Diversity Officer, understand and analyze national, regional and office diversity demographic trends, market forces and recruiting opportunities, and develop programs to advance diversity, equity and inclusion in offices within the east coast region.
• Schedule, coordinate and attend office D&I Committee and CRPW meetings and their related events within the region. This will entail functioning as a liaison between the local office D&I Committee and CRPW Chairs, various lawyers, the Firm’s Event Planning Department, various venues, as well as event participants.
• In collaboration with the Firm’s Legal Recruiting Department, schedule, coordinate and attend diversity-focused legal recruiting efforts.
• In conjunction with the Chief Diversity Officer, Learning & Development Department and Marketing Department, coordinate the development of presentations, seminars, conferences, and symposia concerning the Firm’s diversity, equity and inclusion goals.
• Coordinate with the Organizational Communications Manager dedicated to the D&I Team and Marketing Department to develop newsletters, brochures and other materials to promote the Firm’s diversity, equity and inclusion-related objectives, initiatives, programming, and events.
• Generate reports on the diversity, equity and inclusion activities and programs hosted and sponsored by the offices in the east coast region. Identify and develop recommended activities and programs for such offices.
• Assist the Chief Diversity Officer and Learning & Development Department with training and development matters as they relate to women and lawyers of diverse backgrounds (lawyers that identify as racial/ethnic minority, LGBTQ+, disabled, and/or veterans).
• Maintain accurate records of D&I Committee and CRPW membership, mentoring programs, events, outreach and program budgets for the offices in the east coast region.
• In coordination with the Chief Diversity Officer, develop and present diversity, equity and inclusion training programs.
• Coordinate outreach to bar associations, law school community, diversity-related affinity groups and organizations, and business organizations in the east coast region on behalf of the Firm. Act as a firm representative in external venues.
• Lead and provide administrative support for at least one Firm diversity, equity and inclusion program on a firmwide level. These programs may include, for example, firmwide recruiting efforts, firm’s pipeline programs, the firm’s Diversity Mentoring Program, or other programs.
• Travel as required approximately 35% of time and will include overnight or multiple nights.
• Perform other duties as assigned. This position will require regular regional and national travel and non-standard hours in conjunction with events and subject to the availability of the Chief Diversity Officer and the Chairs of the D&I Committee and CRPW.
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree
• A minimum of 5 years of prior related experience with diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives
• Experience in a law firm or large corporate environment
• Experience in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and web-based services and related applications
• A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and cross-cultural communication
• Advanced degree, particularly a J.D.
• Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
Other Skills and Abilities:
The following will also be required of the successful candidate:
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Good judgment
• Strong interpersonal communication skills
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Able to work harmoniously and effectively with others
• Able to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion
• Able to work under pressure
• Able to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities