Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Manager Los Angeles California
Job ID: 16060
The DEI Manager will partner with firm leaders and the DEI Team to support the implementation of an industry-leading diversity, equity and inclusion strategy. This individual will play a key role in driving critical firm-wide initiatives to success, with an orientation towards action and results. The DEI Manager will be a consultant and advisor to business unit and office leaders, affinity group leaders, local council leaders, and other stakeholders, and will run programming that supports the firm’s DEI strategy, with a focus on running effective 1:1 mentorship, sponsorship and coaching programs, eliminating hidden barriers to success, addressing systemic inequities, and creating a mature DEI culture in which each leader is responsible for DEI success.
What You’ll Do:
• Develop and implement programs and interventions designed to attract, retain, develop and advance diverse talent, eliminate hidden barriers to success, address systemic inequities, and foster inclusive leadership.
• Collaborate with select business unit and department leaders, practice managers and attorney development managers to design and execute business unit / department strategies that are aligned with firmwide talent strategies.
• Collaborate with select affinity group leaders to develop and implement annual strategic plans, draft management updates, perform data analysis, run programming, and manage annual budgets.
• Manage and align affinity group strategy and programming to broader DEI strategy.
• Operate as a skilled facilitator who is capable of creating content for DEI training and awareness programs that will increase strategic impact throughout the firm.
• Manage and monitor the implementation of DEI programming, and drive accountability to project timelines, deliverables and outcomes.
• Analyze DEI data trends to measure progress and program effectiveness, and to inform the firm’s DEI strategy.
• Work, coach, consult and partner across all levels, inclusive of individual contributors, people managers, associates, counsel, partners, and firm leadership.
• Provide or arrange for one-on-one executive coaching for individuals on issues pertaining to DEI.
• Collaborate with the firm’s human resources business professionals to develop and implement DEI programs for professional staff.
• Collaborate with the firm’s talent acquisition teams to identify strategic approaches that will enable us to increase opportunities to diversify our talent pool and increase diversity in hiring.
• Collaborate with HRIS, marketing and finance teams to respond to RFPs and DEI surveys.
• Collaborate with key clients on DEI-related initiatives in support of our firm goals, including premier speaker events, pro bono partnerships, pipeline initiatives, roundtables, and the like.
• Collaborate with the firm’s marketing and communications teams to ensure that our marketing and communications strategies incorporate key aspects of DEI messaging.
• Foster relationships with attorneys and professionals at the firm, internal DEI champions, DEI professionals at peer firms, leaders of DEI organizations and affinity bar associations, and DEI professionals at clients.
• Participate in external councils, conferences, and forums to stay abreast of cutting edge issues and trends, benchmark leading organizations, enhance marketplace presence, and strengthen brand recognition.
• Monitor external DEI best practices and make recommendations for new initiatives to ensure that the firms remains a leader in the DEI space.
• Support effective management of the overall DEI calendar and budget.
• Supervise, train and develop junior DEI professionals.
Who You Are:
• Bachelor’s degree required, and Juris Doctor or Master’s Degree in business administration, leadership and organizational development and/or behavioral design preferred.
• Minimum of 3 years of diversity and inclusion work preferred. Experience working in a large law firm, professional services firm, or matrixed environment desired. Facilitation and/or coaching experience considered a plus.
• Evidence of delivering in a matrixed environment with many key stakeholders.
• Resilient and able to work under pressure; delivery focused with significant drive and energy.
• Demonstrated leadership qualities, including excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills, inclusive leadership style, strategic and innovative thinking, persuasion and influencing skills, executive presence and the ability to build enthusiasm and commitment.
• Demonstrated expertise in creating and maintaining project charters, project plans, status reports, budgets, and communications and change management plans.
• Proven ability to track, prioritize, and drive multiple concurrent projects to success.
• Experience with effectively managing conflict, resolving issues, mitigating risks and influencing leaders.
• Strong organization skills, including setting priorities, planning, structuring project deliverable and problem solving.
• Proven ability to lead peers and individual contributors, build effective teams and coach for success.
• Excellent communication skills, including effective listening, presentation and facilitation skills.
• Demonstrated sound judgment and ability to make effective, timely decisions.