Business Development Manager Washington DC
Job ID: 16944
Summary: Seeking results-oriented business development manager to drive the Firm’s Boston business development initiatives. This is an opportunity to be part of a uniquely collaborative culture, working with a dynamic global Marketing & Business Development team. This position will work directly with the Firm’s Boston-based and other relevant lawyers, relevant practice and industry groups, and coordinate closely with the wider Marketing & BD team (particularly those supporting Life Sciences), to identify overall strategic opportunities in the Boston market, and develop and execute effective business plans, client development initiatives and external communications programs, with the ultimate goal of growing revenues and building the Firm’s Boston profile. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Business Development – Regulatory
Duties and Responsibilities: Planning:
• Work with other Marketing & BD team members, as well as key lawyer stakeholders to develop an annual Boston business plan. The BD manager will ensure that the plan is tied to the business goals of the Firm, have clearly stated milestones, and will regularly monitor the plan for progress.
• Support execution of plans for individual attorneys in Boston, as well as practice, industry, and specific client plans relevant to Boston.
• Work closely with our PR team to maximize opportunities with media and brand-building efforts.
• The BD Manager will develop and monitor marketing & BD budgets for the Boston office and initiatives.
Client and Business Development:
• Work with other BD team members, as well as key lawyer stakeholders, to identify clients and contacts who should be targeted for specific opportunities.
• Work directly with lawyers to implement business development initiatives and programs around new business generation with existing and new clients.
• Prepare specific client pitch materials, including responses to RFPs, and conduct preparatory sessions with attorneys prior to client meetings. Track win/loss record.
• Leverage Firm’s Market Research team to analyze market opportunities and to assist lawyers/groups in preparation for client meetings.
• Coordinate with members of the BD team on cross practice efforts for regional/industry initiatives.
• Work with the Relationship Manager program to maintain and expand relationships with targeted clients.
• Support strategic and logistical aspects of the lateral integration planning process for lawyers in Boston.
• Identify and evaluate sponsorship and speaking opportunities at conferences and seminars and ensure effective participation.
• Recommend thought-leadership and CLE programs for clients.
• Working closely with our Events team, organize and manage events from concept development and invitation creation, to on-the-ground support, day-of logistics, and post event follow-up.
• Ensure well-written, up-to-date representative client lists and matters/deal descriptions. Maintain descriptions in Firm database.
• Draft concise, targeted submissions for Boston/Massachusetts entries in legal rankings and other awards, including Chambers.
• Assist with the editing, layout and production of client alerts and other practice and industry-focused updates.
• Develop practice-specific and industry-specific Boston-focused marketing materials.
• Develop/manage website content and other external communication pieces related to Boston.
• Develop and maintain segmented client and prospect mailing lists.
• Attend various community and local association events for purposes of raising visibility of the Boston office.
• Other responsibilities as necessary.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing/communications or related field.
• Minimum of five years of experience in professional services marketing and business development. Demonstrated background of accomplishment in marketing and business development. Previous law firm experience is highly desirable.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and written and oral communications skills.
• Demonstrated leadership and proactivity/initiative.
• High-energy, creativity and value-added orientation.
• Ability to work well under tight deadlines and other pressures while maintaining professional demeanor.
• Experience and facility with information technology and software for marketing the practice group, including website, databases and knowledge management Tools. Proficiency with Word, PowerPoint and Excel required. Proficiency with Salesforce a plus.