Business Development Manager Washington DC
Job ID: 16396
Job Description: The Manager, Business Development position is responsible for leading the development and implementation of strategically focused business initiatives to secure new clients and strengthen existing relationships, consistent with the overall goals and strategies of the firm. Working across all Corporate practice areas, and integrating cross-practice with the full Business Development team, the Manager Business Development – Corporate will coordinate and integrate efforts to ensure that the group provides the highest quality programs and resources available to the partnership, to specific practice areas and to individual high-potential attorneys.
Primary Responsibilities and/or Essential functions:
• Meet with corporate partners to assist with any requests regarding Bus Dev. efforts (pitches, RFPs, seminars). Help develop content and determine the most effective approach for client presentations.
• Oversee all corporate pitches and RFPs; make sure deal list data is current and accurate; track corporate deals; clean up existing templates.
• Review and edit all corporate directory entries (Chambers, IFLR, Legal 500 etc) for partner review and final submission
• Generally oversee work and work load of corporate BD staff and consultant projects
• Initiate, support and assist with development, coordination and implementation of targeted business initiatives on multiple levels: multi-practice, single-practice and individual partners, the latter importantly including coaching
• Advise on pitch process, winning selling strategies, client service initiatives; execute post mortem reviews; manage client teams. Oversee and take accountability for preparation of presentation materials for business development targets
• Team with functional specialists within Marketing & Business Development, including CRM, database marketing, PR, events, editorial services, creative services and publications. Coordinate with global offices to develop global databases, market knowledge, global sales materials
• Identify strategies and opportunities for expanding client relationships among practice groups by monitoring and reporting trends and issues impacting selection of external counsel.
• Develop cross-departmental opportunities with M/BD counterparts in Litigation and BFR (Bankruptcy) to repurpose information, identify prospects and manage sales support.
• Primary responsibility for synthesizing, developing and innovating corporate practice presence on firm website
• Provide research, synthesis and presentation of information for high-level decision making: industry sectors, geographic markets, current and potential clients
• Track activities of competitors to identify new, effective and innovative business development techniques and enterprise strategies
• Strategically develop and leverage the firm’s client base through researching, analyzing and developing/examining potential or current client issues and creative data-rich profiles
• Ensure clear lines of communication and coordination of programs and projects both within the Business Development group and with attorneys
• Leverage the skills of media, event planning, business graphics and data systems professionals within the group
• Supervise administrative staff as needed for projects and outside vendors and consultants
• Participate in development of common metrics across the spectrum of business development activities
• Any additional responsibilities as required by management
Knowledge Skills and Ability:
• 5+ years of marketing-related experience in the areas of investments, private equity and/or M&A; doing pitches for new business initiatives in a professional services organization, preferably in a law firm.
• Top 100 Law firm or investment banking experience
• Ability to work with senior partners in business development opportunities.
• Strong writing, presentation and organizational skills.
• Drive and enthusiasm to work and complete assignments under tight scheduling deadlines in a team-oriented environment
• Demonstrated customer service focus and team-first orientation
• Ability to respond quickly under tight deadline pressure
• Proven creativity, conceptual skills development and resourcefulness, as well as demonstrated experience effecting organizational initiatives and vision
• Excellent consultative and consensus-building skills in working with Partners and Senior attorneys
• Organizational and political savvy in working within a large professional services organization.
• Ability to negotiate individual, group and firm-wide needs and to interface successfully with multiple levels of business development team (partners, associates, legal support staff and other marketing staff).
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively with the firm’s entire marketing staff.
• 4 year College degree
• MBA or a JD a plus