Business Development Manager, Litigation New York NY
Job ID: 15991
Role Summary: The Business Development Manager, Litigation (“Manager”) is responsible for supporting the firms global Litigation practice in developing, implementing and promoting business development and marketing strategies. Working closely with the Senior Business Development Manager, the role will involve partnering with practice group leadership, individual partners and the Firm’s global Business Development, Marketing & Communications team, to advance strategic business development planning and related initiatives, support pitches for new business and enhance the external market profile of the Firm’s Litigation practice and partners globally. The Manager will also collaborate closely with other business development professionals at the Firm on cross-selling efforts and other firm wide revenue generation initiatives. This firm Litigation practice, with more than 130 lawyers globally, is highly regarded in the market. Our attorneys have deep experience in a wide range of litigation, investigation and compliance matters, with a focus on securities & enforcement, antitrust, M&A, global compliance & anticorruption (FCPA), intellectual property, international trade and investment, white collar defense and other complex commercial disputes.
A successful Manager will be a self-starter and proactive in identifying and supporting the pursuit of new business development opportunities, knowledgeable about the legal industry and litigation/investigation practices in particular, and able to execute efficiently to achieve effective business development results. He or she must also be comfortable interfacing with partners, business development colleagues and other business services professionals at all levels. Strong organization skills, a willingness to “roll up the sleeves,” and exceptional attention to detail and the ability to produce professional work product are also important attributes for this role.
• Implement business plans and targeted business development initiatives for litigation related practice groups and group partners in alignment with firm-wide goals; develop and track marketing budgets; set achievement metrics and progress against plan and objectives.
• Implement identification and development of target markets including market research, financial analyses, and marketing support of practice area business development opportunities.
• Draft and coordinate custom pitches, client presentations and responses to RFPs tailored to the client’s business and preferences.
• In connection with RFPs, analyze requirements, participate in the development of a clear and focused strategy, draft comprehensive responses, and collaborate with partners and business development team members within the Litigation practice and across practice groups and offices as appropriate.
• Prepare submissions for legal directories and research guides (e.g., Benchmark Litigation, Chambers, Global Investigations Review, The Legal 500, other practice specific directories), including the organization, drafting and editing of submissions, coordination of researcher interviews and tracking of rankings and accolades.
• Update the Firm’s FCPA and Sanctions microsite and assist with the production of our annual and quarterly reports.
• Draft, and update practice area brochures, web and micro site postings, and other marketing collateral.
• Implement profile-raising opportunities, including conferences, external speaking engagements, sponsorships, client alerts, and article placements.
• Collaborate with marketing and communications team to implement external communications and media opportunities, including speaking and by-lined article and thought leadership opportunities.
• Help identify, plan, and execute in-house client events, external speaking engagements, and conferences.
• Other projects and duties, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Excellent collaborator with strong interpersonal skills, successfully able to build relationships with partners and diverse stakeholders, working as part of a global team.
• Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to think creatively to work through complex issues successfully.
• Comfortable multi-tasking and working on multiple conflicting deadlines, in a fast-paced environment.
• Strong sense of teamwork but confidant to work autonomously.
• Ability to prioritize multiple projects and responsibilities and consistently deliver high-quality results in a timely manner while working in a fast-paced international working environment.
• Proficient in MS Office including Word, PowerPoint and Excel; familiarity working with CRM systems a plus.
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required; advanced degree preferred.
• 5-7 years relevant business development experience in a law firm or business services environment in litigation and/or disputes.
• Experience with planning and preparing pitches, presentations and other marketing materials required.
• Management experience both direct and indirect.
• Global client relationship management experience a plus.
Physical Activity/Other Miscellaneous
• Flexibility to work outside regular business hours will be necessary.