Business Development Manager Finance New York NY
Job ID: 16771
Position Summary: The Business Development team supports the firm across a broad spectrum of new business and client relationship-building activities, including the creation of new business proposals and firm marketing materials, upkeep of the databases that track firm experience and client information, competitive and market intelligence, and coordination of client events. The Manager, Business Development – Finance works closely with practice leadership, the Finance Client & Practice Development and Practice Resource teams, and operational teams across the firm (e.g., PR & Communications, Digital Marketing, Events, Accounting) to develop and execute on key business development and marketing initiatives for the firms Finance practice.
Essentials Duties and Responsibilities – Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Finance practice: Develop a deep understanding of our Finance practice including each area of focus within (e.g., lender-side and private equity finance, investment grade and leveraged finance, direct lending, restructuring finance, structured finance, infrastructure finance), attorney specialties, clients and specific business development and marketing needs. Collaborate with attorneys and the Finance Client & Practice Development and Practice Resource teams on the creation and implementation of strategic business initiatives.
• Market intelligence: Leverage relevant industry research and news databases and resources (e.g., S&P Capital IQ, Refinitiv, Bloomberg, Pitchbook, Debtwire, Preqin, Leveraged Commentary & Data (LCD)) to monitor, research and report on market trends and insights, competitor activity, existing and prospective client developments. Proactively identify opportunities for attorney outreach and engagement. Collaborate with Finance Client & Practice Development and Practice Resource teams and operational teams across the firm on preparation of regular industry and practice update presentations.
• League tables & deal tracking: Manage league table process and build relationships with each organization to ensure effective and timely submission. Identify proactive opportunities for submission. Manage deal database and track matters for marketing and business development purposes through available Finance-specific and firm-wide information systems. Prepare tombstones and deal lists for each area of focus, as well as specific geographies and industries in connection with various business development opportunities.
• Profile-raising: Liaise with relevant external industry/market organizations and publications and the firm’s PR & Communications team to proactively identify and secure article placement, speaking opportunities, conference sponsorships, webinars, and other visibility initiatives for attorneys.
• Collateral: Manage and prepare content for targeted presentations, proposals, and pitch materials. Review and update print and digital marketing materials to ensure content reflects substantive strengths, accomplishments, and current activities. Manage practice and attorney bios, DavisPolk.com Finance page and LinkedIn strategy.
• Directory submissions: Manage the drafting and submission of content for numerous legal directories, awards, and related industry guides (e.g., Chambers, Legal 500, IFLR1000).
Qualifications / Position Requirements:
• Knowledge of, and experience with, corporate finance (e.g., lender-side and private equity finance, investment grade and leveraged finance, direct lending, restructuring finance, structured finance, infrastructure finance)
• Experience with legal-research / legal-news databases and resources (e.g., S&P Capital IQ, Refinitiv, Bloomberg, Pitchbook, Debtwire, Preqin, LCD)
• Excellent organizational and project management skills
• Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to work confidently and collaboratively with individuals at all levels of the organization
• Ability to maintain professional composure in high-pressure situations and a fast-paced, multi-authority environment
• Highly motivated, responsive, and conscientious, with a commitment to delivering excellent client service
• A sharp eye for detail
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word)
Education and/or Experience:
• Five to 10 years of experience in research intelligence, business development & marketing (financial services or law firm background preferred) or relevant corporate finance experience in a professional services role (e.g., law, banking, consulting).
• Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in finance, marketing or economics (MBA, JD, or other advanced degree a plus)