Assistant Director of Practice Management US Finance Chicago
Job ID: 16664
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Assistant Director of Practice Management – US Finance to join our firm. In this role, you will work closely with assigned partners and wider business services to support, facilitate, and drive smooth day-to-day operations, matter profitability, and ongoing improvement in performance and revenue growth. This position is key to the execution of our legal services strategy and will be the first of its kind within Finance, allowing the candidate to play a vital role in shaping and building out the capability across the Finance Practice and the wider firm.
- Efficiently and effectively manage the day-to-day operations of the Practice, optimizing quality and efficiency, leveraging technology, precedents, and operational resources.
- Ensure the full utilization of firm-wide tools by the Practice.
- Establish and implement best practices, repeatable models, standards, controls, and monitoring procedures.
- Assist partners with practice management and operations activities, coordinating with other practice groups and administrative teams.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required to meet firm goals and objectives.
- Monitor backlog and new business pipeline to ensure appropriate resources are available to address client work.
- Collaborate with partners and relevant business functions on paralegal and business services staff performance management.
- Maintain oversight of the selection and delivery of training provided to the Practice.
- Monitor attorney and paralegal workloads and productivity levels to optimize attorney utilization, support professional development, and promote Practice goals and profitability.
- Analyze staffing levels and participate in the recruitment process as needed.
- Work with Practice Leadership to ensure attorney engagement and Practice culture are considered when planning Practice management activities.
- Review and analyze the Practice’s monthly Inventory (WIP and AR), approve write-offs, support collections, monitor attorney and paralegal utilization, and track the Practice’s overall financial performance to identify anomalies and propose solutions.
- Liaise with Finance department leadership to ensure billing, eBilling, rates, and other financial operations meet the needs of the Practice.
- Monitor compliance with fee arrangements and ensure timely billing of each matter in accordance with those arrangements.
- Oversee and manage the Practice’s use of external resources to optimize quality and efficiency, ensuring prompt processing of invoices.
- Accountable for operational budget analysis and recommendations, including expense monitoring and review of monthly budget variances.
- Proactively and independently identify and analyze problems, develop solutions, and deliver results, focusing on administrative operational challenges and long-term Practice profitability and performance improvement.
- Lead change management efforts within the Practice through formal communications and informal influence, coordinating with IT and other business teams for change initiatives.
- Leverage services such as knowledge management, legal project management, innovation, and others to support Practice goals and profitability.
- Collaborate with the Business Development & Marketing team on RFP responses, pitches, marketing initiatives, thought leadership promotions, research and analysis, and competitive intelligence-gathering for strategic planning, competitive firm positioning, and business development activities.
- Support partners in generating business leads, expanding existing client matters, and identifying and pursuing cross-selling opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or JD preferred.
- Minimum of 6-8 years of related experience.
- Experience in operational roles within the legal industry.
- Experience supporting the delivery of legal services (as a lawyer or non-lawyer working alongside lawyers).
- Experience coordinating or leading change in a legal or professional services environment.
- Understanding of the legal industry.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products and ability to learn and work with various software
For immediate consideration please send your resume to Jill Tomarken at firstname.lastname@example.org